- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 8 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples (Granny Smith, Gravenstein, Cortland or Macintosh)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
To prepare the filling: Place apple slices in a large bowl, sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon and toss to evenly coat the apples. Set aside.
To prepare the topping: In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, and brown sugar. After these ingredients have been mixed together, make a well in the center and add the Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil and vanilla extract. Rub the mixture together with fingers until it starts to come together and form a crumb-like texture. Add walnuts to the topping mixture, if desired.
Transfer apple slices to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over the apples.
Bake at 350o F for 40-45 minutes or until the apples are tender when pierced with a paring knife.
Cool pan 10-15 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm, with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.