Broccoli and Ricotta Pizza
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling
- Sea salt or kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1- 1/2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tsp.
- (3.5 grams) dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/3 cup,
- plus 3 Tbsp. grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup warm water (110-115˚)
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large pinches of dried oregano
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp.,
- plus 3 tsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- To make dough, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water. Stir in sugar. Allow yeast mixture to rest until it starts bubbling.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture, the remaining 2/3 cup of warm water, and 2 Tbsp. of the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured board. Gather together to form a ball of dough and knead, adding more flour if dough is sticky. Knead for 10 min., until smooth. Oil a large bowl with 2 tsp. of the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Transfer dough to bowl, rub remaining 1 tsp. of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the dough, cover, and rest in a warm, draft-free location until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, blend the ricotta with parsley and 1/3 cup of the pecorino cheese in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli for four minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water, and drain again. Pat dry with paper towels and chop coarsely. Heat 3 Tbsp. of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over medium-low heat until garlic is golden. Add the broccoli, raise heat to medium, and toss until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 475˚ F. Sprinkle a light dusting of cornmeal onto a large baking sheet.
- When dough has risen sufficiently, turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead for 2 min. Divide in half, cover each piece with plastic wrap, and let rest for 5 min.
- Roll out one piece of dough to form an 8" x 16" rectangle. Transfer to baking sheet. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over dough, leaving a 3/4 inch border. Scatter half of the chopped broccoli over the ricotta, sprinkle with 1-1/2 Tbsp. of remaining pecorino cheese, and a large pinch of oregano. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 14-15 min., until golden and bubbly. Prepare second pizza the same way. Serve immediately.