Flourless Chocolate Cake with Almonds and Chocolate Glaze
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 Tbsp. brandy
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 1/2 pt. fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325˚ F. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan. Line bottom with a round of oiled wax paper.
2. Place almonds in bowl of a food processor. Pulsate until finely ground.
3. Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Stir in Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil and allow chocolate to cool.
4. Beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a large bowl, using electric mixer at high speed, until thick and lemony. Reduce speed to low and add chocolate mixture and brandy. Fold in almonds. Wash and dry the beaters.
5. Beat egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff. Fold egg whites into chocolate batter, pour into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 50-60 min. or until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 20 min. Use a thin knife to loosen cake from sides of pan. Invert cake onto rack and cool completely.
6. For glaze, melt chocolate in double boiler. Stir Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil into chocolate and allow glaze to cool for 15 min., or just until it begins to thicken. Pour glaze over cake, using a small spatula to evenly coat sides. Allow glaze to set. Transfer cake to serving plate. Garnish each slice with a few fresh raspberries.