Orange Blossom And Olive Oil Gelato
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup orange blossom honey
- ¼ cup Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg yolk
- In a heavy-bottom medium saucepan combine 1¼ cups of the milk, heavy cream, Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil and vanilla bean heat over medium heat until bubbles appear around the edge of the saucepan and mixture and is about to boil.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 1 cup milk, sugar, honey, orange blossom water, and cornstarch into a small bowl, whisk until well combined. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cornstarch mixture. Return saucepan to heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture thicken slightly about 8-10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add egg yolk into a medium bowl and whisk until slightly thickened. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the yolk, whisking constantly. Slowly add mixture back into the hot milk mixture in the saucepan, whisking until well combined.
- Transfer to a large metal bowl. Place the bowl in an ice bath, careful not to get any water into the mixture. Allow the mixture to cool completely on the counter, stirring occasionally. The mixture will thicken. Remove and discard the vanilla bean. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. (Do not cover before completely cooled or the mixture will steam and water the mixture.)
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a storage container with lid and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
Author: The Noshery