Grapefruit Shrub And Ginger Refresher
For the Shrub:
- 2 large ruby red grapefruits
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups Pompeian Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
For the Refresher:
- 2 cups grapefruit shrub
- 3 cups ginger beer
For the shrub
- Wash a large mason jar in hot, soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Submerge in a pot of warm water to cover by 1 to 2 inches, bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. For the lid or cap, wash it in hot, soapy water; rinse well, and scald in boiling water. Using tongs transfer right side up to a clean paper towel to dry.
- Using a vegetable peeler remove the zest from the grapefruits, set aside in a mason jar. Peel away the white pith of the grapefruit and discard. Cut the grapefruit into thirds and add to the mason jar. Split vanilla bean and add to the mason jar.
- In a small pot combine Pompeian Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and sugar. Place on the stovetop over medium-high heat, stir until sugar has dissolved and mixture comes to a simmer. Pour mixture over the fruit in the mason jar, leaving at least ¼-inch headspace in the jar. Wipe the rim with a clean with a damp cloth, and close tightly.
- Store the jar in a cool, dark place, such as a cupboard or the refrigerator for one week or up to 4 weeks until the desired flavor is reached.
- Strain the fruit from the vinegar through a fine mesh strainer lined with a damp cheesecloth or coffee filter. Transfer the shrub to a clean mason jar, tightly sealed.
- Store the shrub in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Taste before using to make sure the flavor is still good. Discard immediately if it has mold or any signs of fermentation, such as bubbling, cloudiness, or sliminess.
For the refresher
- Divide the grapefruit shrub between two pint glasses.
- Add chilled ginger beer, stir and add ice.
- Garnish with grapefruit zest.
Author: The Noshery