Barbecue Chicken Skewers
For the banana ketchup
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
For the chicken skewers
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2" pieces
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. banana ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon soda
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- Add the banana, tomato paste, onion and garlic to a food processor with a metal blade and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan then add water, vinegar, sugar and spices. Cook on low heat until it reaches the consistency of ketchup.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes and add a few pieces of chicken to each one.
- Spray Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray onto the skewers and grill over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Baste with banana ketchup 2 minutes before fully cooked, serve with quick-pickled vegetables.
Author: The Daley Plate
Enjoy this Filipino banana based infused dish of Barbecue Chicken Skewers!