Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Artichokes
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 16 oz. hulled barley
- 1/2 cup Pompeian White Cooking Wine
- 3 qts. simmering chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 oz. jar of marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus pieces and blanch for 3 min. Drain, refresh under cold water, and drain again.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook over low heat until translucent. Stir barley into onion and toss to coat. Raise heat to medium and stir for 2 min. Pour in the Pompeian White Cooking Wine and stir until it is completely evaporated. Add a ladleful of the simmering broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is completely absorbed by the barley. Continue until the barley becomes al dente and develops a creamy sauce. This will take 50-55 min.
- Rinse and drain marinated artichoke hearts. Stir in asparagus and artichoke hearts, season with salt and pepper to taste, and add one more ladleful of broth. Continue to stir until broth is almost absorbed
- Remove barley from heat, stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the chopped parsley, and 2 Tbsp. of Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Serve immediately with additional grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the barley risotto.