Basil Cavatelli With Broccoli, Sweet Fennel Rope Sausage And Pine Nuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb. cavatelli pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 3/4 lb. sweet Italian fennel rope sausage
- 4 cups (½ lb.) stemmed broccoli florets
- 6 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place the basil in the workbowl of a food processor and, with the machine running, add 4 tablespoons of the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil through the feed tube and process to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a heavy 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil over high heat. Add the rope sausage in one piece, cover lightly and cook until nicely browned on all sides. Transfer to a cutting board, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices and set aside.
- Discard all excess fat from the skillet and add the remaining tablespoon of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Reduce the heat, add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Add the broccoli florets and 2/3 cup of the chicken stock, season with salt and pepper and simmer, covered, until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Return the sausage to the skillet together with the remaining stock. Remove the skillet from the heat and reserve.