Butternut Brie Mini Quiches with Balsamic Syrup
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons to 1/4 cup ice water
For the Filling:
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash cubes
- 4 oz. brie, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar
- To make the pie crust, pulse together the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add in the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the processor running, add in the cold water Tablespoon by Tablespoon until the mixture starts to come together.
- Take the dough and pat it into a thin disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, eggs, and egg yolk. Season with a dash of salt and black pepper.
- When the dough is done chilling, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is 1/2-inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out circles of dough that are about 2 1/2-inch rounds. Fit the rounds into a 24-cup nonstick mini muffin pan. Repeat with remaining dough until it is all used up.
- Fill each pie crust with a few butternut cubes and 1 cube of brie. Pour the egg mixture into the pie crusts to fill them.
- Bake at 375˚F until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes. Remove the mini quiches from the tin almost immediately once done baking and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- While they're cooling, heat the Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar in a small pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Allow the vinegar to cook until it has reduced by about half and is thick and syrupy. Remove the vinegar from the heat and pour into a small bowl.
- Drizzle the reduced Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar over the quiches before serving.
Author: Eats Well With Others