Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, Potatoes and Gravy
- Sea salt or kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 lb. garlic, unpeeled, separated into cloves
- 1/4 cup Pompeian White Cooking Wine
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 cup warm chicken broth
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tablespoon, plus ¼ cup Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-1/2 to 4 lbs. chicken
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Toasted Bread
- Bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 1/2 stalk of celery, 1 sprig of thyme, 2 sprigs of parsley and 1 sprig of sage, tied together with twine)
1. Preheat oven to 450˚ F. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Insert bouquet garni and lemon slices into chicken and truss.
2. Pour 1 Tbsp. of the Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil into small roasting pan. Place chicken, breast-side up, in the pan and rub with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Scatter garlic cloves around chicken. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil and top garlic with 6 sprigs of thyme.
3. Roast chicken 30 min. Reduce temperature to 375˚ F. Baste with pan juices every 10 min. Continue roasting 30 min. more, until chicken is fully cooked.
4. Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Heat remaining ¼ cup of Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil and thyme leaves in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until thyme begins to brown. Peel and mash 12 of the roasted garlic cloves. Coarsely mash potatoes. Add thyme-infused olive oil, mashed garlic, and ¼ cup of warm chicken broth. Stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
5. Transfer chicken and remaining garlic to platter. In small bowl, combine remaining 1 cup of chicken broth with the flour. Stir until flour is incorporated. Place roasting pan on a burner over medium heat. Add Pompeian White Cooking Wine and deglaze, scraping brown bits at the bottom of the pan, about 2 min. Add broth and flour mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens slightly, about 3 min. Remove pan from heat. Strain gravy through a fine sieve. Season with salt and pepper. Peel 12 cloves of roasted garlic, mash and stir into gravy.
6. Drizzle Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil on toasted bread and spread with remaining garlic cloves. Remove trussing twine and serve chicken with the mashed potatoes, pan gravy, and toasted bread.