Fettuccine In A Mushroom, Shallot And White Wine Alfredo
- Optional: 1/4 cup black forest ham, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb. dried fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 lb. medium cremini or white mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup Pompeian White Cooking Wine
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh shallots, finely minced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
In a heavy 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When hot, add the cremini mushrooms and sauté quickly until lightly browned. Add the garlic, shallots and parsley and cook for 1 minute. Add the Pompeian White Cooking Wine and reduce to 2 tablespoons. Whisk in the heavy cream, season with salt and a large grinding of black pepper and reduce slightly.
Bring plenty of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the fettuccine and cook until just tender, "al dente". Drain well and return the pasta to the pot together with the mushroom mixture, Parmesan, and optional ham and toss well over low heat until the sauce coats the pasta. Taste and adjust the seasoning and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and serve hot with a bowl of Parmesan on the side.