Grilled Portobellos with Lentil-Cucumber Salsa
- 1 banana pepper or 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 of a medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup Pompeian White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 3/4 cup Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 medium portobello caps, wiped with damp paper towel, stems removed
- 8 oz. goat cheese, cut into bite-size pieces
1. Place the mushrooms in a resealable plastic bag. Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and pour 1/2 cup of the marinade over the mushrooms, seal, toss back and forth gently to coat and marinate 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil, add the lentils, return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until just tender.
3. Combine the cucumber, pepper, celery, onion with the remaining marinade and set aside.
4. Drain the lentils in a colander and run under cold water to cool completely. Shake off excess liquid and stir into the cucumber mixture.
5. Preheat the grill pan or grill to medium high heat. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade (discard marinade) and place on grill, smooth side up. Cook 4 minutes, turn, top with the cheese and cook 4 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender. Serve topped with lentil salsa.