Instant Pot Hawaij Spiced Chicken
- 1 2.5 pound small whole chicken or chicken pieces
- ¼ cup Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Hawaij spice blend
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
Optional to serve: Parsley, Red Onion & Tomato Salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sumac powder
- 1 tablespoon Pompeian Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Combine Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hawaij spice and salt in a small bowl. With your hands, rub the marinade onto the chicken to season every inch, inside and outside. This step can be done a day ahead to ensure an evenly seasoned bird.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, making sure that pressure is set to HIGH. Place sliced onion and garlic in the inner pot and cover with stock. Place chicken on top of the onions, breast side up, then close the lid and set the valve to "sealing." Set the timer for 18 minutes. The Instant Pot will come to steam a little and then seal, starting the timer.
- Prepare the salad by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Once the timer on your Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally - do not manually release the pressure valve. When the pressure gauge drops, remove chicken and place on a baking sheet. Crisp chicken in a 450°F oven set to "broil" for 5-8 minutes.
- The gravy created in the Instant Pot while cooking the chicken is delicious poured over the bird, especially when served with rice.
- Sprinkle chicken with toasted almonds and optional salad.
Author: The Daley Plate