Korean Beef Tacos
For the Beef:
- 2 lbs. beef tri-tip
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple or pear juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 Tablespoon ginger puree
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2-3 Tablespoons Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
For the Creamy Pepper Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons gochujang
- Juice from 1 lime
For the Kimchi Slaw:
- 1/2 cup packed kimchi
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons prepared creamy pepper sauce
- 20-25 extra-small corn tortillas
- 2 large avocados, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- 3 green onions, chopped, for topping
- 2 limes
- Jalapeno or chili peppers, sliced, for topping
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients needed for the sauce: soy sauce, apple juice, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds. Whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, trim the beef tri-tip of excess fat and slice the meat into thin slices, about 1 1/2-inches in length.
- Preheat a large frying pan over high heat and add the Pompeian Grapeseed Oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef. Season the beef with salt and fry over high heat until well browned all over, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the Korean barbeque sauce over the beef and bring to a simmer for a few minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small ramekin and stir together, then add to thicken the sauce. Once the sauce thickens, remove the beef from heat and keep warm.
- For the creamy pepper sauce, combine the necessary ingredients in a bowl: mayonnaise, yogurt, fermented pepper sauce and lime juice. Mix everything together and transfer into a dispenser bottle if desired.
- For the kimchi slaw, combine the cabbage, carrots, cilantro, green onion and sauce in a medium bowl. Finely slice the kimchi and add it to the bowl. Toss all the ingredients together.
- To assemble the tacos, first toast the tortilla, if desired. Top each tortilla with a slice of avocado, followed by 4-6 pieces of beef, a few Tablespoons of kimchi slaw, a sprinkle of cilantro and green onion and a drizzle of the creamy pepper sauce.
- Finish the tacos with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- For best results, keep all the components separate and put the tacos together right before serving.
Author: Tatyana’s Everyday Food