Mushroom Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 pounds mushrooms, rinsed and dried
- 4 tablespoons Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup small diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas and carrots, defrosted and drained
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the peeled potatoes in an electric pressure cooker and set for 20 minutes. Once done, let the pressure release naturally before opening. If, instead, boiling the potatoes, do not peel them. This will help keep them from absorbing too much water. Place the non-peeled potatoes in a medium-sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Once they have cooled slightly, peel skin from the potatoes using a clean kitchen towel and pairing knife.
- While potatoes are cooking, remove stems from mushrooms and set the stems aside. Cut the mushroom caps into quarters and mince the stems.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large heavy bottom pot on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Add rosemary, thyme and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add minced mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms have softened and released their liquid, about 7 minutes.
- Add remaining Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and flour to the minced mushrooms, stir until paste forms.
- Add red wine to mushroom paste. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer gently until it has thickened slightly.
- Whisk in ½ cup of broth and return mixture to a simmer until it has thickened. Season with salt. Add remaining stock and bring again to a simmer until it has thickened.
- Stir in quartered mushrooms, peas and carrots, and pearl onions. Stir until well combined. Cover and let cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add vegan butter, kosher salt, and garlic powder. Using a hand mixer, mix the potatoes until creamy, set aside.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish, gently spread mashed potatoes over mushroom mixture. Brush mashed potatoes with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Bake in the oven on a sheet pan for 40 minutes at 425 degrees F, or until golden brown and bubbling.
Author: The Noshery