Poblano Black Bean Veggie Burgers With Elote Salsa
For the Veggie Burgers:
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
For the Elote Salsa:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 ounces frozen or 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- lime juice, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Place 2½ cups of the beans in a large bowl and mash until smooth. Stir in the eggs, 1 tablespoon Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cumin, salt and cayenne. Add in the remaining beans, panko, poblano pepper and cilantro, stirring until combined.
- Form the burger mix into 6 patties. Heat 2 tablespoons Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Place 3 patties in the skillet. Cook until browned on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and patties. Set aside.
For the Elote Salsa
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the corn and jalapeno to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until the corn starts to become charred.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the mayonnaise, cotija cheese, and chili powder. Season to taste with lime juice and salt.
- Serve the burgers on buns topped with a generous spoonful of the elote salsa.
Author: Eats Well With Others