Vegan Meatballs with Mushrooms and Chickpeas
- Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, approximately 1/3 cup, divided
- 14 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 (16 ounce) cans low-sodium chickpeas, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 3 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and spread them so they cover the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until they are browned and softened, 8-9 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring continuously for another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer mushroom to a food processor or high-powered blender. Pulse until very small pieces. Add a drizzle of water if that helps them to blend.
- Transfer mushrooms to a fine mesh sieve. Press out as much liquid as possible. Return them to the food processor.
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, Italian seasoning, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Pulse until well blended. You want it to be a lumpy mixture that holds together.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the flour. Mix with hands until combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out meatballs. Roll with hands into balls.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a non-stick or cast-iron skillet until it coats bottom. Heat over medium-high. Add meatballs. Cook until brown underneath, 2-3 minutes, and then turn. Continue to cook and turn until brown on all sides.
- Transfer balls to a baking sheet and put into oven for 30 minutes.
- Toss with your favorite sauce. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast if desired.
Author: Cook the Story