Whole Wheat Penne with Pesto and Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Sea salt or kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325˚ F.
2. Coat bottom of a large non-reactive roasting pan with 2 Tbsp. of the Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, in roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle the remaining Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil over tomatoes. Roast tomatoes for 75-80 min., or until very soft. Cut each tomato half into two or three pieces.
3. While tomatoes are roasting, make the pesto. Combine basil and garlic in bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times until finely chopped. With processor running, add the Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil through feed tube, processing just until blended. Transfer pesto to a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Cook penne just until al dente. Reserve some of the cooking water, and drain. Transfer penne to a large bowl. Spoon roasted tomatoes and any oil left in pan over the penne and toss quickly. Add pesto, 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, and some of the reserved water, if the mixture seems dry. Toss and serve immediately.