Heirloom Tomato and Grilled Halloumi Panzanella Salad with Basil Oil
- 1 (1 lb.) loaf of day-old sourdough bread, torn into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 (8 oz.) block halloumi cheese, cut into 1/2-inch blocks
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, deveined and chiffonade
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss bread in 2 Tablespoons Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper and spread out on a sheet pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crusty.
- Place basil leaves and remaining 1 cup of Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a high speed blender. Blend on high for 10-30 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Gently simmer the oil for 1 minute to set the color.
- Pour the oil into a fine mesh strainer that is set over a bowl lined with cheesecloth. Allow to drain for 5 minutes. Transfer to glass jars and allow to cool. Once cool, use as a drizzle or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- On a grill or a grill pan, cook halloumi until sear marks are visible, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- In a large bowl, gently massage kale leaves with lemon juice until softened, about 3 minutes.
- To assemble, toss bread cubes, grilled halloumi, tomatoes, and kale on platter. Top with basil oil, fresh basil leaves, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Author: The Feed Feed