Middle-Eastern Bulgur Salad
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 each medium-size red and green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 gourmet cucumber or 2 medium-size cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Pomegranate Infused Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 2 ripe medium-size tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups wheat bulgur
- 3 cups boiling water
Place the bulgur into a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over it, stir and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Drain well in a fine mesh strainer, pressing out any excess water. Return the bulgur to the same bowl and set aside.
In another large bowl, combine the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pompeian Pomegranate Infused Red Wine Vinegar, mint, parsley, garlic and cumin and whisk until well blended. Add the bulgur, cucumbers, peppers, scallions and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Taste and correct the seasoning. Serve lightly chilled with toasted pita bread.