Pickled Salad Of Red Onions And Baby Beets
- Coarse salt and coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups red onions, thinly sliced
- 20 fresh baby beets with greens, trimmed of all but 2 inches of stems, with roots attached, about 2 lbs. after trimming
- 3 Tbsp. Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
- 6 Tbsp. Pompeian Classic Pure Olive Oil
1. Bring plenty of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the beets, making sure that they are completely covered by the water, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until just tender when pierced with a cake tester or very thin skewer.
2. While the beets are cooking, combine the Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar and Pompeian Classic Pure Olive Oil in a large bowl. Season highly with coarse salt and lots of black pepper and whisk until well blended. Fold in the onions and set aside.
3. When the beets are done, drain and run under cold water to stop further cooking. Remove and discard all skin, which should slip off quite easily, and all roots and stems. Quarter the beets and add to the vinaigrette together with the onions. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, remove the salad from the refrigerator, taste and adjust the seasoning and serve lightly chilled with a good grinding of black pepper and thinly sliced black or pumpernickel bread.