Red Beet and Blood Orange Salad
- 1/2 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 ounce walnuts, chopped and toasted (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Pomegranate Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Pompeian OlivExtra Plus
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 blood oranges or navel oranges, peeled and cut into sections
- 2 medium size, fresh beets (about 10 ounces total), stemmed and scrubbed
- 2-3 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 large Romaine lettuce leaves OR 4 cups loosely packed field greens (about 4 ounces total)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Peel beets under running water to prevent staining of fingertips. Drain on paper towels and cut each beet into eight wedges.
- Place the beets on foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tsp. of the Pompeian OlivExtra Plus (from the dressing ingredient list) and toss to coat well. Arrange in a single layer, bake 10 minutes, stir and cook 10 minutes longer or until just tender. Remove foil and beets from baking sheet and place on wire rack to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the salad dressing ingredients in a jar or container with lid.
- Arrange the lettuce on a large platter, top with the remaining salad ingredients and beets. Shake the jar vigorously and drizzle one half of the dressing evenly over all. Refrigerate remaining dressing up to 3 days for later use.