Broccoli Gratin with Crunchy Herb Topping
- Sea salt or kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Tbsp. bread crumbs
1. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add broccoli and salt, to taste. Blanch for 3 min. Drain and refresh under cold water and drain again. Pat dry with paper towels and transfer to a bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Oil a small gratin pan.
3. For sauce, heat Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add flour and stir until foamy. Pour in milk and cook, stirring continuously until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese and parsley and cook until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Coat broccoli evenly with sauce. Transfer broccoli to gratin pan.
4. For topping, heat Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil in nonstick skillet. Add garlic and thyme and cook until garlic is golden. Add bread crumbs and toss until lightly browned. Sprinkle topping over baking dish and bake for 20 min., until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.