Marinated Summer Squash
- 2 meduim zucchini and/or yellow squash, sliced diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly in rounds
- 1/2 cup Pompeian OlivExtra California Select
- 8 cloves garlic
- 8 sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
1. Heat the Pompeian OlivExtra California Select oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or cast iron pan until hot but not smoking. Season squash lightly with salt. Add two cloves of garlic and two sage leaves to the oil, cook for 1 minute and then add 1/3 of the squash in a single layer to the oil. Cook until golden on both sides, tender but not mushy, 3-5 minutes. Remove to a platter.
2. If the garlic and sage are getting too dark discard and replace with fresh. Place half the onions in a single layer in the pot and cook until golden on each side. Layer next to the squash on the platter. Continue alternating between the squash and the onions until everything is cooked, taking care to discard and replace the garlic and sage whenever necessary.
3. While still hot, sprinkle the vinegar and extra virgin olive oil over and season with salt and pepper. This is best if refrigerated overnight and served the next day at room temperature.